Chelation is a treatment which involves the infusion of a mixture of substances primarily consisting of EDTA, vitamins and minerals that are essential for the body. The main function of EDTA is chelating, or binding, with unwanted heavy metal residual in the bloodstream. These include lead, mercury, arsenic, or even excess calcium, which may deposit in tissues like endothelium, damaging the interior of the blood vessels. Chelation of these metals allows them to be excreted through urination. In several studies*, 85% of the patients with atherosclerosis who received chelation were no longer required to take bypass surgery. Reduced heavy metal also reduces oxidative stress, a factor which causes inflammation. These mechanisms contribute to the increase in blood vessel’s elasticity as well as the decrease in myocardial infarction event. Chelation is therefore one of the recommended anti-aging health treatment.
One session of Chelation usually takes about 2.5 to 3 hours. A person is free to do almost everything during a chelation session, including relaxing, watching television, eating food or snack, reading a book, or listening to music. There is no required recovery period after the session.
Why should we receive Chelation?
In the world full of pollutions in the air, water, soil, or even our food, all of us are highly likely to be exposed to heavy metal. More significantly, heavy metal can be found in construction hardware, cosmetics, drugs, processed food, energy fuel, or even health products. The contamination of heavy metal in our body causes disturbance in many body system, including cell division, nutrient circulation, all leading to continuous degeneration of all organs.
Benefits of Chelation
- Eliminate residual toxin in the circulatory system as well as other part of the body
- Reduce the risk of cancer
- Improve blood circulation
- Reduce the risk of cardiovascular and cerebrovascular diseases
- Reduce blood lipid, a cause of hypertension and myocardial infarction
- Reduce the risk of degenerative diseases that are the result of poor blood circulation
- Alleviate the symptoms of hypertension, diabetes, metal toxicity, chronic headache, and other chronic diseases
- resulted from poor blood circulation
- Reduce skin inflammation
- Alleviate the symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease by improving memory and mood
- Improve sexual performance and reduce chronic fatigue syndrome
- Improve sensory nervous system
Who should be receiving Chelation?
- Individuals who are at risk of heavy metal exposure, such as having dental fillings that are amalgam
- Individuals who are at risk of cardiovascular diseases, such as people with high blood lipid level and hypertension
- Individuals who are at risk of having high level of oxidative stress, such as people who regularly drink caffeinated beverages, first-hand and second-hand smokers
- Individuals with signs and symptoms of poor blood circulation, such as people who constantly have headaches
- Healthy individuals who would like to take preventive measure against cancer and cardiovascular diseases, maintaining their vascular health
- Individuals with history of heart surgery, including balloon, stent, bypass, since they are still at risk of relapse
Preparation before receiving Chelation
Steps in doing Chelation
- History taking and physical examination by a physician
- Standard laboratory investigation for risk factor assessment
- Live Blood Analysis, a crucial step of health screening to evaluate the health condition
- Receiving chelation with personalized regimen calculated specifically for each person
- Periodic follow up appointment; interval depends on each person’s condition
Possible side effects of Chelation
It is common to feel tired initially after the treatment due to the detoxification and excretion process. This can be prevented by taking enough time to rest. Drinking sugary beverages, such as fruit juices, as well as eating a balanced diet can alleviate the symptoms.